Re: OT EU-based Cloud Service

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 10:37 AM Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
On 2022-03-18, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

> In France, the three major host providers are:
>
> https://www.scaleway.com/
> https://www.gandi.net/
> https://www.ovhcloud.com/
>
> I have a very cheap dedicated server at OVH, it serves its purpose.

They actually lost some of my shit in the Strasbourg fire (via a
governmental agency), so I'm skeptical; it seemed they kept the backup
in the same building as the original. Thus the whole kit and caboodle
went up in smoke (for any arbitrary definition of caboodle). Or maybe
there was no backup. Or maybe backup not included or something. It all
appeared inconceivable to me *niveau ineptie totale*, but there you go.

Thanks for this, I had not heard of this fire. OVH had already had a major power disruption in
that data center in 2017. No, they had no offsite sitewide backup this time, major customers
would have had their own. There was no fire suppression system, but I have never
worked in a datacenter without one. The airflow was so poor that the entire datacenter
with 9 employees on duty was engulfed in flames in about 15 minutes.
Looking at the photos, it was just stacked shipping containers.