Re: Installing/Preparing Debian on a headless system

On Sun 13 Mar 2022 at 20:05:45 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Wed 09 Mar 2022 at 16:18:08 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I do not know anything about UEFI and the installer. I will,
> > however, guide you through the steps to use preseeding and get a
> > network console.
>
> That would be most helpful if you would post that.

Carry out the instructions in sections 1 to 10 at

  https://wiki.debian.org/Installation+Archive+USBStick

Attached is the relevant portion of my preseed.cfg up to partitioning.
I do that manually.

--
Brian.
# This file is designed to be used with 'priority=critical'. (The

# Provide non-free firmware files directly to the installer. It now
# does not need to search for them in other packages.
d-i preseed/early_command string	\
    cp -a /hd-media/files/firmware /lib

# If possible, netcfg will choose interfaces that have links. This
# makes it skip displaying a list if there is more than one interface.
# The first connected network interface will be selected and used.
#
# The IP address may be changed after first boot.
d-i netcfg/choose_interface select auto
d-i netcfg/disable_autoconfig boolean true
d-i netcfg/get_ipaddress string 192.168.7.99
d-i netcfg/get_netmask string 255.255.255.0
d-i netcfg/get_gateway string 192.168.7.1
d-i netcfg/get_nameservers string 192.168.7.1
d-i netcfg/confirm_static boolean true

# This sets the hostname for the system; it ignores names provided by
# DHCP or DNS. 'hostname=' on the command line of the installer does not
# override it. Change the hostname after installation.
d-i netcfg/hostname string bullseye

# Use ifupdown irrespective of whether a DE (which would bring in
# network manager) is installed or whether the connection is wired or
# wireless.
d-i netcfg/target_network_config select ifupdown

# Wireless stuff, if it is available.
d-i netcfg/wireless_show_essids select manual
d-i netcfg/wireless_essid string MI5_Listening_Station_102
d-i netcfg/wireless_security_type select wpa
d-i netcfg/wireless_wpa string xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# Users and passwords.
d-i passwd/user-fullname string xxxxx yyyyyy
d-i passwd/username string brian
d-i passwd/root-password password PASWORD
d-i passwd/root-password-again password PASSWORD
d-i passwd/user-password password PASSWORD
d-i passwd/user-password-again password PASSWORD

# Log in from another machine on the local network. Obtain the
# IP of the machine booted with d-i from 'arp-scan' if there
# isn't a way to use 'ip a' (no monitor attached) and a static
# address has not been preeseeded. Then do
#
#     ssh installer@IP_ADDRESS
# or
#     ssh -o GlobalKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null installer@IP_ADDRESS
#
# and give the password. Change the Debconf priotity back to
# "critical" to continue with the remainder of the directives
# in preseed.cfg.
#
# To change console precede the console number with Ctrl-A. For
# example, Ctrl-A 4. The console has screen support.
# (https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2016/02/msg00547.html).
d-i anna/choose_modules string network-console
d-i network-console/password password PASSWORD
d-i network-console/password-again password PASSWORD
# network-console becomes available when a network connection is
# established. This line ensures preseeding continues up to the
# partitioning stage, which is done manually.
d-i network-console/start select continue