Re: Wayland vs X

Georgi Naplatanov wrote:

> Wayland has new features, better security model and improved
> performance, and these areas of improvements seem
> considerable to me.

When I tried it the last time I looked for a xinit or startx
which are the ways I start X (from scripts, e.g.
https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zprofile )

I then run a bunch of programs in ~/.xinitrc

I asked what the equivalence was and was told there
wasn't any. I was instead pointed to a login manager (I don't
use one and don't want one).

Then instead of all my software [1] I saw some weird GUI,
totally unappealing.

Is there, this day and age, a Wayland equivalent to
xinit/startx, the .xinitrc and .Xresources files and so on?

Or better yet, maybe it can even use them transparently?

If so, and if it is better, I'd be happy to try ... if not,
these guys missed an obvious opportunity that should have been
the way (or one of the available ways) from day 1.

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.xinitrc

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal