Re: Dependency bug demonstrated???? - was [Re: Problems with custom install of MATE]

On Tue 08 Mar 2022 at 09:06:27 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 08 Mar 2022 at 08:40:02 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:

[..]

> > "apt-get --no-install-recommends install lightdm" solved #1 and #2.
> > Does that demonstrate a dependency bug?
>
> Last paragraph of:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/04/msg01009.html

I will quote that paragraph so that the OP will have it easily
available to consult throughout this thread:

 BTW I agree with Georgios: if you don't install the "Recommends",
 you may find that you don't get the functionality you expect.
 The only thing guaranteed by installing the "Depends" is that
 all the function calls will point at some runnable code rather than
 just pointing into thin air.

And I will add:

Users who install a package with "--no-install-recommends owe it to
themselves to investigate the conssequences *prior* to committing to
the action. Involving a communuty in the aftermath is little short
of thoughtlessness and lack of preparation.

What is demonstrated is not a "dependency bug" but an unwillingness
to learn from the past and plan for the future.

--
Brian.