Dependency bug demonstrated???? - was [Re: Problems with custom install of MATE]

On 03/08/2022 07:32 AM, Richmond wrote:
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:

As I have a very low data cap and wish to avoid some "recommended"
components I have done:
1. a text mode install [including "standard utilities"] using
    debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso .
2. apt-get --no-install-recommends install mate-desktop-environment
3. apt-get install xinit
4. apt-get --no-install-recommends install xorg gparted synaptic pluma

Between those steps were searches/fixes for some things that didn't
run as expected.

Current questions/problems include:
1. Why do I have to manually run startx at each boot?
2. Although menu entries for gparted and pluma appear as expected, there
    appears to be no way to launch synaptic.
3. Although connected to internet [i.e. apt-get runs correctly], the
    appropriate icon does not appear on MATE's taskbar.
4. I'll be installing SeaMonkey but have forgotten how to have it appear
    on appropriate Applications sub-menu.

I've done it all before but can't find my references.
Help please.
TIA

1. Probably you don't have a display manager. Mate uses light display
manager, and it is configured here:

/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

But there is a script or procedure for configuring it. Probably just
install lightdm.

"apt-get --no-install-recommends install lightdm" solved #1 and #2.
Does that demonstrate a dependency bug?