Re: linux kernel and nvidia - never ending story

Am Montag, 7. März 2022, 20:46:40 CET schrieb Christian Britz:
Hi Christian,

I feel to answer your post and have to correct some of your essays.
> Hello Hans,
>
> I understand your frustration, I was also frustrated sometimes back when
> I used nVidia, but IMO Debian is not to blame here, the situation is
> completely the responsibility of nVidia.
>
> 0. After reading your post again, I realize that sections 1 to 4 of my
> reply do not really apply to your situation. I leave them in my text
> though, because in my opionion they describe the general problem with
> nvidia quite well.

Yes, good idea.

> 1. You are probably not talking about Debian stable and the kernel that
> ships with it. I have not checked, but the binary nVidia packages almost
> certainly have not disappeared from Debian stable non-free within a
> release cycle. Nothing should have broken with the latest dot kernel
> update. If you have problems, please specify further. Testing/unstable
> may break at any time, you have to deal with that, especially when using
> non-free software, which can only be fixed to a certain amount by the
> maintainers.

No, I DO talk about debian/stable! And when I mean stable, I talk about
bullseye. I expect bullseye to work.

> 2. If you are talking about kernels newer than the one in Debian stable,
> the problem is a problem by design that can and will happen with every
> Linux distribution. The reason is simply that the kernel interfaces
> which nVidia uses are not stable and were never intended to be used by
> non-free software. Eventually, nVidia will adapt their interface module
> and release a new driver package. Eventually, this will be integrated in
> Debian non-free. It is a race between the kernel developers and the
> nvidia developers, which nvidia never can win. If at all, you can blame
> Linus and the developers for not providing a stable interface for
> proprietary non-free software. I fear they will laugh at you, at best.
> Some kernel developers even have the opinion that it is a GPL violation
> what nvidia does.

Oh, no, this I see not this way. When there is a new kernel shipped, I expect
that this does not break the system! I expect that at least the code, that is
already existent, builds. This is not too much expected! Why is it called
stable???

> 3. If you are not satisfied how fast updated nvidia drivers are
> integrated into testing/unstable, you could always install the drivers
> manually from the website of nvidia. It is not very hard to do if you
> are used to Linux.

This does NOT work., as I told. The drivers from the nvidia site do no more
build with a new kernel version. Who is then to blame? Those, who change the
kernel or those who do not change the drivers?  It is the kernel that changed,
who breaks the system, not the driver, who has NOT chenged!

> 4. Given the circumstances, I feel the nvidia integration in Debian
> quite smooth, on stable it works almost out of the box (if your card is
> not too new, but that is a general issue with the stable concept of Debian).
Agreed! If you get the driver compiled, then it is working very well, if you
get it compiled.....

> 5. I only now realize that your card is actually too OLD, sorry. What
> should I say, the latest release of the 340 branch from nvidia is dating
> back to 2019.12.23. If they dont support their older products anymore
> themselves, do you expect Debian to hack their closed source driver?

And what? 3 years is too old??? I do not expect the drivers to be improved,
but I expect, that the drivers can be used further on! This is not to few to
be expected, isn't it?

> 6. If nvidia would only be a little bit more cooperative, nouveau would
> be in a much better state. I found it usable for older cards, although
> the prorietary driver is of course much better in terms of performance
> and power saving.

As I wrote, please read it again: The nouveau driver does not work for this
card, X is totally unstable and so often freezing, that it can not be used.
Did I tell, it is debian/stable?

> 7. Intel (what I use these days) and AMD support Linux in a much cleaner
> way, avoiding many of the problems with the nvidia blob.

Yes, may be, but who cares. As I wrote, it is not possible, to change the
graphics card in noterbooks.

> 8. If you buy a system with the goal to use it over many years, I can
> only reccomend to choose hardware components wich can be well supported
> by free drivers. Please support companies that support Linux well, like
> Intel and AMD.

Why shhould one? Shall I tell all customers, "Hey, throw away your 5 or 8 year
old stuff!", which yesterday worked well and today, after an upgrade does no
more, because a simple driver can not be compiled? No, that is the wrong way!

The whole story with Nvidia-modules is shit, and even when I no come into the
doghouse, IMO it is NOT the fault of Nvidia, how the developers always try to
tell! Someone ist just closing the eyes from the truth.

But my suggestion: Let us stop this discussion, because this will bring no
success, just a lot of trouble. And the danger, that it may become personally
to someone whoever. I told, what I wanted to tell, and now one can be think of
it or just forget of it.

Best regards

Hans