Re: linux kernel and nvidia - never ending story

On 07.03.2022 23:49, Hans wrote:
Dear list,

how find the correct words, without being upset or stepping on someones feet.
But I believe, debian hates Nvidia, and debian does not want, to use Nvidia.

I am now for a long time using debian and also using nvidia graphic cards for
almost the same long time.

But whenever debian ships a new kernel version, the proprietrary nvidia kernel
modules can not be built. If lucky, there is a patch for it after months.

Yes, modern Nvidia cards are supported, but using an older notebook you can
not change the graphics card.
I have several older notebooks, that my customers use. They worked perfectly
with the proprietrary driver from Nvidia. But after update to bullseye, it was
hardly get them running again. And why? They have an old graphics card in
their notebooks, and they use Nvidia cards, specially the legacy 340xx.
Out of curiosity, can you name a model of nvidia GPU(-s) you have trouble with? Are you sure you need legacy 340xx driver specifically? That version is for hardware that was released in 2009-2010 and older.
I think there is a chance you can install legacy 390xx version instead.
You can use 'nvidia-detect' program to check your hardware and get a driver version recommendation.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org