Re: apt-key deprecation.

On 3/5/22, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I update my packages I get the warning :
>
> W:
> https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/dists/buster/InRelease:
> Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see
> the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.
>
> I looked at section DEPRECATION in apt-key, but did not find how I can
> extract those keys from /etc/apt/trusted.gpg and put them in trusted.gpg.d
>
> What would be the easier way ?

My apologies if you personally already know what I'm about to write.
Am still posting for potential newbies visiting the archives.

While you're waiting on the answer that corrects this, I needed to fix
two of mine, too. I took your query as my sign to follow through.
First up is this explanation that might easily play into what's going
on:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1286545/what-commands-exactly-should-replace-the-deprecated-apt-key

Even if it's not directly related to the change that occurred in that
very recent Debian package upgrade, it's still important to always
have in mind. It's relevant because, however you and I and all others
affected correct this warning, we need to know that one factor is our
CHOICE as to how far we trust each affected repository. I hadn't
really thought that far ahead about it until seeing that in writing.

For me, I trust the two repositories involved and would grant them
wide open access. Someone else might be pulling from a repository that
allows all kinds of different Developers to add their packages into a
pool. That scenario should cause an admin to cherry pick each
package-specific key added after researching each single key for its
safety as new keys continue to appear over time.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *