Re: how many W a PSU for non-gaming Debian?

Emanuel Berg writes:

Linux-Fan wrote:

>> Oh, the OP has the AMD4 x86_64 CPU that comes with/in the
>> Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard!
>
> By default, a motherboard is just that, a motherboard.
> Unless you have some specific "bundle" package, there is no
> CPU included with it. According to
> https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/
> the board has "AM4 socket: Ready for AMD Ryzen(TM)
> processors". And according to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM4 this socket can
> accomodate for a wide variety of different processors.

$ lscpu | grep "name"
Model name: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics

Now this is _not_ a 125W CPU but a 65W TDP one [1]. When you calculate that CPU with 125W you are already safe. No need to multiply that *2 what I would have suggested were it a 125W TDP CPU. In fact, by calculating with 125W you almost took twice the TDP already which would have been 2*65W = 130W.

[1] https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-3200g

> (a) PSU with 450W will have specified 87% at 90W i.e.
>     draw 90W/0.87 = 103W
>
> (b) PSU with 600W will have specified 90% at 120W i.e.
>     draw 120W/0.9 = 133W

Okay, so with everything and +25% wiggle room, i.e.

  (ceiling (* 1.25 (+ 19 125 (* 3 3) (* 2 6) 80 3 2.8))) ; 314 W

Use that figure, see above :)

it is 314 W, and then the worst efficiency is 87%, the digit
lands at

  (ceiling (/ 314 0.87 1.0)) ; 361

361 W.

?

You do not need to take efficiency into account this way. Reason is: The efficiency is the factor between the wall power draw and the PSU's output power. To size a PSU for a new computer you _only_ take into account the output power and this is also the figure that the manufacturer advertises (i.e. 300W PSU means 300W output power, not input power draw).

The efficiency only comes into play when you want to consider the wall power draw e.g. to find out how much it will cost to run the systmem 24/7 in terms of electricity. If you take an "overly large" PSU, efficiency will possibly degrade compared to a one that is "just right" in size.

I hope that clarifies it a little.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö