Re: reinstalls now about 15, no fix for unwanted brltty. or speech synth announcing every keypress

On 2/19/22 11:27, Gene Heskett wrote:
this damned FF won't let me replace your name in the reply with the list address, so this is yet another reply to about 20 installs of bullseye now.  new thread but I can't help it if using FF for web mail is as broken as outlook ever was.

The problem is that the installer insists on activating both brltty and the speech synth for every key press. Or in some cases I have not been able to corrolate, a mouse click is a loud ding.

I did find a place in the desktop config to mute that channel of the speech synth, but that does NOT stop it from logging a 6 line error in the syslog for every key pressed or auto repeated.

I have spent around 5 hours looking thru every nook and cranny of the bios for a way to turn brltty off, but there is NO mention other the disabling the mobo's serial port and that also stops the reboot at around 10 seconds, with no further action from anything but the front panel rest button.

There is no timeout and continue, it just stops. What is so hard to understand about that?
The sob stops booting and the ONLY rescue is the RESET button.

No cheer, Gene

Ideas:

1.  What is the name of the ISO file that you downloaded?  What URL?

2. Did you verify the SHA256 checksum of the file? What checksum file and URL?

3. Did you verify the SHA256 checksum of the bytes burned to installation media? (Note that the checksum for read-write media, such as USB flash and SDHC, should be checked immediately after burning and before booting, as the installer may write to the media.)

4. What is the make and model of your computer (or motherboard, if homebrew)?

5. What internal and external devices are connected to your computer? And, to which slots, connectors, ports, etc.?

6. Please document your path through the d-i, so that we can repeat your steps and see if we get the same results.

David