Re: reinstalls now about 15, no fix for unwanted brltty. or speech synth announcing every keypress

On Sat 19 Feb 2022 at 11:27:37 -0800, Gene Heskett wrote:

> this damned FF won't let me replace your name in the reply with the
> list address, so this is yet another reply to about 20 installs of
> bullseye now.  new thread but I can't help it if using FF for web mail
> is as broken as outlook ever was.

Song and dance.

> The problem is that the installer insists on activating both brltty
> and the speech synth for every key press. Or in some cases I have not
> been able to corrolate, a mouse click is a loud ding.

My recollection is that speech synthesos in the second item on its
meneu. You get it without activating that menu? That is a big bug.
Report it.

> I did find a place in the desktop config to mute that channel of the
> speech synth, but that does NOT stop it from logging a 6 line error in
> the syslog for every key pressed or auto repeated.

That is often the way when you are in a hole.

> I have spent around 5 hours looking thru every nook and cranny of the
> bios for a way to turn brltty off, but there is NO mention other the
> disabling the mobo's serial port and that also stops the reboot at
> around 10 seconds, with no further action from anything but the front
> panel rest button.

You think the bios is involved? Sheesh!

> There is no timeout and continue, it just stops. What is so hard to
> understand about that?  The sob stops booting and the ONLY rescue is
> the RESET button.

The technical situation is that you have buggered up something. Go back
to GO. Do not collect 200 GBP :).

--
Brian.