Re: reinstalls now about 15, no fix for unwanted brltty. or speech synth announcing every keypress

On Sat 19 Feb 2022 at 11:27:37 (-0800), Gene Heskett wrote:

> The problem is that the installer insists on activating both brltty and the speech synth for every key press. Or in some cases I have not been able to corrolate, a mouse click is a loud ding.

That's hardly surprising. Whenever I strike a key, I get a glyph on
the screen, so I assume the unsighted require similar feedback.

> I did find a place in the desktop config to mute that channel of the speech synth, but that does NOT stop it from logging a 6 line error in the syslog for every key pressed or auto repeated.

If you're talking about the syslog that ends up in
/var/log/installer/, big deal. For verbosity, it's
hard to beat the partman log, even when you barely
touch the partitioner during installation.
(I pre-partition disks before starting the d-i.)

If the size of these two files embarrasses you, just
archive them and delete them when the installation is
done. Rocket science.

> I have spent around 5 hours looking thru every nook and cranny of the bios for a way to turn brltty off, but there is NO mention other the disabling the mobo's serial port and that also stops the reboot at around 10 seconds, with no further action from anything but the front panel rest button.

The BIOS? I thought the idea was to not install the brltty
package in your final system, and just mute it in any way
you can find, during the installation process.

> There is no timeout and continue, it just stops. What is so hard to understand about that?
> The sob stops booting and the ONLY rescue is the RESET button.

Are we back on the subject of "stop"? I've already covered that
in a previous post. Period.

Cheers,
David.