Re: cinnamon - slow boot up times

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 04:21:43AM -0500, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 2/15/22, Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@little-beak.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have Bullseye installed on an SSD, it boots up fast as expected up
> > until the login screen.
> >
> > I enter my login credentials...then, queue the music...just a darker
> > screen (not pitch black, flickering, or anything bad)
> >
> > 42 seconds later I get my desktop.

What video chipset? Does anything need firmware - it might just be hanging
and you end up with something closer to VESA mode if needed firmware isn't
there.

> For what it's worth in comparing apples and oranges, I use XFCE4 and
> that's about how long it takes here, too. Just have never set a timer
> to it. It's been doing that for quite a while.
>
> The difference is mine actually makes it into the desktop first. Then
> it takes its sweet time depending on the requests I make of it.
> Sometimes I can close the first couple packages I have it load at
> startup (Mousepad and Thunar). Sometimes it takes a few seconds before
> they respond.
>
> Trying to click the Applications menu is a similar hit and miss until
> after that maybe 40 seconds or so time span passes. Likewise with the
> eventual disappearance of the "timer" or "throbber" that's visually
> indicating something resource heavy is occurring in the background.

What vintage machine / what amount of memory / SSD? - and, also, what video
chipset? XFCE ought to be small/relatively fast.

> Our two experiences may be completely unrelated. Then again, maybe
> what we're each seeing is due to the priority each desktop gives to
> what they load first. Seeing that dark screen would seem the more
> distressing of the two because a User's not sure if the system's going
> to load or not until the first of the GUI eventually pops up on the
> screen.
>

> > I do have a Cinnamon desktop environment with a custom theme setup...but
> > still, 42 seconds? Can that be right? I have thought about using Mint,
> > but I have been using Debian for 20 years, see no reason to change now.
> > If need be, I will wait 42 seconds.
>

> I've tried Mint a few times. It's a no from me because it won't let me
> uninstall GRUB without destroying the entire operating system in the
> process. The releases I've test driven won't uninstall GRUB without
> auto-uninstalling a massive amount of important packages.
>
> That's about User CHOICE, my preference being to try to use anything
> except GRUB. That CHOICE is non-existent in this case.

That's one of the reasons I keep using Debian - and why support for
Debian-derived distributions here and in IRC can only be either
best endeavours / off-topic.

They do things differently elsewhere - sometimes better, sometimes worse -
but always differently and make their own choices.

All best to you all, as ever,

Andy Cater