Re: Throw an hard drive with Debian installation into...

Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@little-beak.com> writes:

> I am curious, what would happen if I threw a fully functionally,
>
> Linux installation (HDD) into an entirely different hardware configuration:
>
> Different Process AMD->Intel?
>
> Ram/mobo I assume doesn't matter?
>
> I half expect it to boot up, and be fully functional.

I fully expect this to work. It has for me in the past. Of course, with
no knowledge of your systems the answer is actually "it depends." But
even when I ran a custom kernel with just the drivers I needed, all I
needed to do was add the drivers the new system needed beforehand. This
was the bad old days when there were other common SATA interfaces than
AHCI.

In fact, I have the inner parts for a new desktop waiting as I want to
do more than just clone my old system there. I've come to realize I want
to build the new system in a new case so that I can work on it while
keeping my old system running.

But still, the first step for me is cloning my boot SSD and putting it
in the new system. I'll have little difference in the old and new
desktop. CPU architecture is still x86-64, video is same NVidia, storage
is same old AHCI SATA + NVMe SSD. So it should boot. Networking is
different and will need a firmware package, maybe a newer kernel from
backports. Wifi and bluetooth are new and likely need same. I can
actually do these things beforehand.

Probably some other minor interfaces will need tweaking, sensors is a
thing that's usually different on different motherboards for example.

The second step for me is converting from FAT partition table and BIOS
boot to GPT partition table and UEFI boot. Should be possible but with
Windows 10, Debian and Arch on the drive it's a tiny little bit more
complicated.