Re: Memory leak

On Sunday, February 13, 2022 01:29:09 AM tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 09:21:00AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The version of Firefox used in Jessie (and presumably later versions)
> > creates (typically mutlitple) files
>
> ...you mean "processes", not files, right?

Yes -- sorry about that -- wasn't thinking ;-)

> >                             named "Web Content".  I don't know how
> >                             Firefox
> >
> > decides what to put in each of those (e.g., content from how many tabs),
> > but
>
> Those are, basically, one for each tab, yes.

I'm sure they are not one from each tab -- I often have 100 tabs open (in
Jessie's Firfox, upto 3000 in Wheezy's Firefox), and typically see between 3
and maybe 8 Web Content pages.

Typically they use about 3 to 3.5 GiB VIRT and much less RES (like less than
0.5 GiB), but occasionally I see RES hit figures like 1+ GiB  --n when I see
those I try to finish what I'm doing on a given web page and then kill that
process (I try to finish because it is likely that killing that process will
"wipe out" the content of the page I am currently viewing (although I can
reload the page).

> This is "electrolysis", see
> here [1] or perhaps here [2] for a rough overview and rationale.

OK, thanks, I'll do that.