Re: Memory leak

On Saturday, February 12, 2022 05:11:31 AM Curt wrote:
>  Firefox may use more system resources if it's left open for long periods
>  of time. A workaround for this is to periodically restart Firefox. You
>  can configure Firefox to save your tabs and windows so that when you
>  start it again, you can start where you left off.

The version of Firefox used in Jessie (and presumably later versions) creates
(typically mutlitple) files named "Web Content".  I don't know how Firefox
decides what to put in each of those (e.g., content from how many tabs), but

I keep top running in a VT and check it every once in a while, and when too
much memory is used, I kill one or more of those files, usually the largest
first.

My tabs remain as tabs (with the associated URL), but the content is gone, but
I can get it back by reloading the tab.

When too much memory is used on my Jessie system, the system hangs (on
occasion i've even left it running overnight to see if it was triyng to do
something to free up memory itself (like the, iirc, OOM killer), but so far it
never has.

On that Jessie system (with 12 GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap), I try to kill one
or more Web Content files when RAM usage reaches the high 9GB  of RAM (I don't
pay much attention to swap usage, but I guess at least some is used at that
point), because when RAM usage reaches 10 GB I run into the hang problem.

Maybe things would work better with more swap, but I haven/t (and probably
won't try that) -- in the reasonably near future (maybe after tax season), I
plan to set up a new system with Debian 1 (whatever that is "code named").