Re: Memory leak

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 09:21:00AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

> The version of Firefox used in Jessie (and presumably later versions) creates
> (typically mutlitple) files

...you mean "processes", not files, right?

>                             named "Web Content".  I don't know how Firefox
> decides what to put in each of those (e.g., content from how many tabs), but

Those are, basically, one for each tab, yes. This is "electrolysis", see
here [1] or perhaps here [2] for a rough overview and rationale. Plugins,
media players and those things also get their own process..

Now I could be snarky (I've been caught red-handed bashing browsers around
here before ;-) but given the kind of usage browsers get, this design decision
actually seems to make sense.

Cheers

[1] https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/04/11/the-why-of-electrolysis/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_of_Firefox#Firefox_57_and_above