Re: Memory leak

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:43:55 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > I used to have 8 GB on the system, and it would start to thrash at
> > about 7+ GB usage. I recently ugrade to 16 GB; memory usage is
> > currently over 8 GB, and it seems to be slowly but steadily increasing.
>
> Presumably you bought 16GB to make use of it, right?

Yes, and so I can do things like development, with IDEs and emulators
that consume additional GBs of RAM, while leaving my usual applications
running.

> So it's only natural for your OS to try and put that memory to use.
> Any "free memory" is memory that could potentially be used for something
> more useful (IOW "free" = "wasted" in some sense).
>
> It's normal for memory use to increase over time, as your OS finds more
> things to put into it.
>
> Of course, that doesn't mean that the concept of excessive memory use
> doesn't exist.  Just that it's hard to characterize.

I understand all this, at least in general terms.

> Do you actually experience a concrete problem (like your system getting
> sluggish and making too many disk accesses to swap things in&out of the
> RAM)?

As I mentioned (briefly) in my original post, yes, I experience concrete
problems: the system either grinds to a halt or becomes unresponsive,
or hits swap and becomes intolerably slow.

Since upgrading to 16 GB a couple of days ago, I haven't had problems
yet, but I used to see the problems I mentioned when I had "only" 8
GB ;/

Celejar