Re: Memory leak

> I used to have 8 GB on the system, and it would start to thrash at
> about 7+ GB usage. I recently ugrade to 16 GB; memory usage is
> currently over 8 GB, and it seems to be slowly but steadily increasing.

Presumably you bought 16GB to make use of it, right?
So it's only natural for your OS to try and put that memory to use.
Any "free memory" is memory that could potentially be used for something
more useful (IOW "free" = "wasted" in some sense).

It's normal for memory use to increase over time, as your OS finds more
things to put into it.

Of course, that doesn't mean that the concept of excessive memory use
doesn't exist.  Just that it's hard to characterize.

Do you actually experience a concrete problem (like your system getting
sluggish and making too many disk accesses to swap things in&out of the
RAM)?

        Stefan