Re: Request free live CD

Celejar wrote:

> I do understand and agree with this, but my point was that we (at least
> the more helpful of us) on this list are perfectly willing to freely
> give of our time to help others, so why would we (at least those of us
> fortunate enough to have disposable income to spare) not be willing to
> give of our money as well to help others who need it?

That's easy: time is much more effective than money in this
context.

If you answer a question on this mailing list, it is recorded
and can be searched; hundreds or thousands of people can be
helped.

If you fix a bug in a major package, millions of people will be
helped.

If you donate the money that you make in an hour to postage and
media for DVDs or USB sticks, somewhere between a fraction of a
person and a couple of hundred will be helped -- for an average
US income, about 2 USB sticks.

Money is great, but it is needed in business-sized quantities.
Any individual person with skills makes the community better off by
answering questions and fixing bugs than they would by donating
the equivalent time in money.

As a corollary, if you can spend a couple of hours convincing a
business that runs Debian to donate some money, that's probably
an excellent use of your time.

-dsr-