Re: One-user system. Was "One user system."

On Vi, 04 feb 22, 10:34:38, peter@easthope.ca wrote:

> root@joule:/root# df | grep sd
> /dev/sda2        7159288  6635136    140768  98% /
> /dev/sda4      131124764 12951820 111512132  11% /home
> /dev/sdb1        3658244  2026200   1446196  59% /home/root/MY
>
> Note that / is 98% full whereas /home is 11% full. The intention in
> moving the root home directory from / to /home is just to have space
> for my data.

It's unclear what you mean by "data" here, but typically the things that
are expected to reside in a (super)user's home directory are mostly
small, i.e. dotfiles and the likes.

Everything else can just be stored elsewhere, no need to relocate the
home directory itself.

> Yes, 98% needs attention.
>
> Rather than link /root to /home/root probably better to edit
> /etc/passwd to have root homed at /home/root. Can try that.
>
> > You may hit snags. Some programs might refuse to run, or do
> > strange things because they're written to distinguish between
> > root and an ordinary user.
>
> Used it since yesterday with no significant problem.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out some application is explicitly hard
coding '/root' as the home directory for the root user, regardless of
what is specified in /etc/passwd.

> > But hey, it could be quite exciting, like carrying a cocked
> > revolver tucked into your waistband. One casual typo, one
> > misplaced space, and you can blow away a whole disk.
>
> I view this as an experiment.  If I destroy the system, I reinstall.
> The debian installer is moderately easy to use.  =8~)
>
> Also I have the spare machine ready to go as described in the smartd
> thread.
>
> Did you use DOS decades ago?  Have you clobbered a DOS system?

More than once :)

I've switched to using sudo because it encourages me to use root only
when strictly required.

Many admin tools work fine without root permissions when used only to
retrieve information (e.g. 'apt', 'systemctl') as opposed to do changes
to the system. It might help to add your user to group 'adm'
('journalctl') or add [/usr]/sbin to your $PATH ('zpool', 'zfs').

If something really needs root (e.g. 'dmesg') it's just a simple Ctrl-a
and type 'sudo<space><enter>', especially if sudo is configured to allow
that specific command without providing a password ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei