Re: One user system.

On Tue 01 Feb 2022 at 11:47:35 (-0800), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>     From: john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com>
>     Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:29:02 +0100
> > If my understanding is correct, you will need to use 'sudo'.
>
> Thanks.  Still a multi-user system.
>
> Whereas puppy linux has one user, root.

And it's been designed with that in mind. Debian hasn't.

> To make debian one-user I think of
>
> mkdir /home/root ; cp -r /root/* /home/root ; rm -r /root ; ln -s /home/root /root
> cp <anythingIwantFrom/home/me> /home/root

I can't understand this. If you carry out your intention, then
/home becomes just another top-level directory like /media.
You don't need to put /root into it just to make a point. You
can use it for just your data files, and not your dotfiles —
particularly if /home is on a separate partition.

> Then proceed as root rather than me.

You may hit snags. Some programs might refuse to run, or do
strange things because they're written to distinguish between
root and an ordinary user.

But hey, it could be quite exciting, like carrying a cocked
revolver tucked into your waistband. One casual typo, one
misplaced space, and you can blow away a whole disk.

> Googling "linux one account" returned https://login.ubuntu.com/ and
> other pages not relevant to the concept.  Odd that the topic doesn't
> get more attention.

Not really — except perhaps on Puppy where it's been seen as
controversial, and hence discussed.

ISTR earlier posts where you've run up against permission problems,
but IMHO just running as perpetual root is not a sensible answer.

Cheers,
David.