Re: Mini server hardware for home use NAS purposes

On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 15:11:57 +0100
Christian Britz <cbritz@t-online.de> wrote:

> Inspired by my previous attempts to implent NFS on my Synology NAS, I
> am thinking about buying a mini server where I install Debian to
> serve as file share (SMB and NFS) and DLNA server.
>
> It should fully support Debian Stable, have a low price but be capable
> of performing the tasks well, ideally have working WIFI, be silent,
> low-power and small.
>
> Do you have any recommendations for me?

I'd suggest a Raspberry Pi 4B. The requirements you listed elsewhere
would make this a cheap and workable alternative. The only issue is
that any SATA disks would have to be run through a USB 3 port. Using an
SSD might mitigate any lag. I use one of these with a laptop drive in a
Geekworm case to be the web server on my LAN. My wife an I have NFS
and Samba access to the drive as well. You can run Raspberry Pi OS (a
Debian derivative) on it. Matter of fact, I think you can run the
various media server packages on such a rig as well.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com