Re: Why did Norbert Preining (having maintained KDE) left Debian?

Marco Möller wrote:

> I feel that a concise statement from Debian insiders would gain a lot to
> not provoke avoidable discussions and would right away defeat heat given
> off obstructively.
> As Thomas pointed out, there are hundreds of posts from years old
> discussions which appear to be the prelude to the current situation.
> Some of these public discussions have been quite controversial, partly
> also questioning if community processes are always taking place
> sufficiently transparent. Currently I find only a public statement from
> one party. This could harm the Debian project. Some concise statement
> from somebody in the Debian project with insights into the issue could
> prevent Debian from bad repute by declassifying which are the positions
> of the present disagreement.

I am not aware of the current problem, but my personal observation is that
there are more often such conflicts and I expect the number to rise in
future.
According my observation the problem is in lack of education in the fields
of logic and rhetoric. The new generation (called milenials or gen Z or
whatever) mostly brainwashed to the political left, but I do not exclude
also the once to the right, are not able to have a meaningful debate.
So what happens - again this is my personal opinion - they are not able to
have a meaningful conversation over an issue and can not solve conflicts.
Thus the only way is to break the communication. Sadly this is observable
also in politics and I hope we do not end up in nuclear war.

The first such experience I had was exactly the KDE project, when it
released version 4. It was not possible to convince the developers that we
need a working desktop and not just shiny one. So I had to abandon KDE.
Since then I had this experience in many different situations especially
with younger people. It is very sad! Again I see this problem mainly in the
education, but it could have also relation to the family a person was
raised in.

All together it is sad that conflicts are not solved for one or another
reason.

--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA 4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0