Re: firefox and limited bookmarks. WTH?

On 1/22/22, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings all ff experts;
>
> Since installing bullseye, and your version of firefox, discovering that
> dissenter is history, I just found that firefoxes forever retention of
> bookmarks now has a max limit set way too low, or a timeout that is
> quicker than it is useful. Looking at bookmarks, and its been about a
> month since I logged in to move a few sheckels around, I needed to do
> that again, and find that bookmark and login have been expired out of
> access if not out of the machine. Obviously that, being my banking, has
> never been written down. I have foolishly depended on my browser to
> remember all that.

Ah, haaa. I noticed it twice in last two days while tracking down a
crochet pattern for my dog's sweater. Those links were only two or
three days old. For me, it's about URLs disappearing out of websurfing
history, not CTRL+D bookmarking.

Not sure exactly when it started doing this, maybe last week;ish. I
log out of user and alternately shut down completely while Firefox is
still in use. I figured that suddenly was an issue when it hadn't been
in a very long time.

Seems like this happened one other time in last couple years. It just
sort of eventually corrected itself, i.e. Developers changed something
that reversed the effect, THANK YOU!.

Good to know.. it's not just me. If I trip over anything about it,
I'll chat it up. Mine's 98 Nightly off the website.

As an afterthought, I went into ~/.mozilla/firefox and poked around.
I'm in a refreshed version because the ~13,000 tabs needed a break. So
I'm in a different, smaller profile. I can't tell if any CTRL+D
bookmarks are lost, BUT..

When I'm in the firefox child directory, I'm seeing a 20MB file,
places.sqlite.corrupt. The places.sqlite that apparently replaced it
is only 10MB large. That's a lot of loss of something that occurred in
the last couple weeks.

When I right clicked to see if I could open places.sqlite and inspect
the contents, Libreoffice tried to open it then reported back that it
considers the 10MB file corrupt, too. Firefox appears to be able to
read something out of that file because I haven't lost everything,
anyway...

One last observation is that I thought it was my imagination that the
overall size of backup copies of ~/.mozilla/firefox kept lunging
around in their size instead of consistently growing larger over time.
It's apparently not imagination, now.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey