Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Friday, January 21, 2022 9:34:35 PM EST gene heskett wrote:
> On Friday, January 21, 2022 7:46:40 PM EST Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > The standard Debian way is to put the desired hostname in
> > /etc/hostname.
> >
> > If I'm reading hostnamectl(1) correctly, the command you wanted
> > should
> > have a hyphen in it: hostnamectl set-hostname NEWNAME
> >
> > However, I've never used this command and I'm not sure what it
> > actually does, or how it interacts with the traditional Debian
> > configuration.>
> > > Thank you Andy. IIRC that can set domainname too?
> >
> > That depends on what you mean by "domainname".  There is a
> > "domainname" command in the nis package, which sets the NIS domain
> > name.  But I somehow suspect this isn't what you mean.  I also
> > suspect you aren't talking about Kerberos.  Or Samba.
> >
> > Do you mean a DNS domain name of some kind?  That's my guess.  But
> > even then, the concept is ambiguous.  What are you actually trying
> > to do?
> >
> > In order for *other* computers to know your system by a fully
> > qualified domain name, you would need to alter DNS.  Either the real
> > live global DNS that everyone uses, if systems are doing DNS lookups
> > on the public Internet, or else a local area network DNS server that
> > you maintain interally.  Or else modify the /etc/hosts files on the
> > other
> > computers.
> >
> > Or perhaps what you mean is something like, "When I type telnet iota,
> > I want it to act like I had typed telnet iota.gene.local."  In this
> > case, you're probably aiming for a customized /etc/resolv.conf file.
> > Which in turn means you need to read up on how to avoid having your
> > changes to /etc/resolv.conf wiped out by roaming bands of daemons.
> > I've covered this topic so many times that I'm quite tired of it, so
> > just go to <https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf> and read.
> >
> > Or maybe you mean something else?  Please be specific.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf has:
> search coyote.den
> nameserver 192.168.xx.1
>
> the search line says to look in the /etc/hosts file, failing that, the
> nameserver line sends the dns lookup query to the router which NAT's me
> to my isp assigned address, and fwds it to my isp's dns server. And
> its Just Worked much like that way since redhat 5.0 in 1998.
>
> However when I set hostname with hostname, the 169.bs stays out of the
> picture and networking works the world until a reboot.
> Setting the hostname with hostnamectl to the alias in /etc/hosts for
> this machine, gets me exactly the same hostname but then the route
> reported by "ip a" is the 169.bs.bs.bs and I can't get out of my shirt
> pocket to even ping the router at 192.168.xx.1.
>
> I tried to remove avahi but apt doesn't admit to knowing it. But thats
> what I had to do to buster in order to get rid of the bogus routing.
> ip route won't kill it, not even to the next reboot, so how do I get
> rid of the bogus 169.bs.bs.bs routing forever?  That whole avahi thing
> [...]
Never mind. I found the cure in the bottom of /etc/dhcpcd.conf, define a
static_eth0 and a fallback to it if a dhcpd server can't be found, did
it, rebooted and its fixed. I have a network. Why isn't that in the wiki?
Neither is there any reference to avahi that can be found in the wiki and
I spent around 2 hours search and browsing it.. Frustrating is an
inadequate description. Adequate isn't for mixed audiences.

Anyway, its fixed.  How long? Beats me...

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis