Re: Firefox PDF download - strange behaviour.

On Ma, 18 ian 22, 11:35:04, The Wanderer wrote:

> Looking at that example, I note that it starts with the variable name
> "currentDirHandle". I think it's intended, although not explicitly
> stated, that the directory path specified in that function call is
> *relative*; that would let the API be used to create subdirectory trees
> underneath the user-chosen directory, but not outside of there.
>
> So this could potentially be dangerous if the user chooses a directory
> location that's high enough in the directory tree to have important
> files already underneath it, but not if the user chooses e.g. a
> dedicated Downloads directory.
>
> I can still envision scenarios in which this could be dangerous, but
> unless there are ways to get access to a file-handle variable that don't
> rely on something directly user-interactive (the ones described in that
> page are file-picker dialogs and "drag and drop a file into (a specific
> area of?) the browser window"), I don't think it can plausibly do so in
> a way that's invisible to the user.

This reminds me of

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/separate-eop-flaws-let-hackers-gain-full-control-of-windows-and-linux-systems/

(the second part, with the Linux vulnerability)

Letting some random site have access to local storage seems like a Very
Bad Idea.

Kind regards,
Andrei