Re: Firefox PDF download - strange behaviour.

Kamil Jońca wrote:
> songbird <songbird@anthive.com> writes:
>
>> Kamil Jońca wrote:
>>>
>>> Recently I recognized strange behaviour during pdf download with
>>> firefox.
>>> 1. When I enter target name with colon - this colon is replaced with
>>> space.
>>
>>   no idea because i usually replace any strange characters
>> in file names with underlines before saving them to disk.  i
>> do not automatically save or open pdfs from firefox or any
>> other utility.
>

>>> 2. When target file exists -  firefox does not ask to replace it but
>>> create file with number.
>>> (for example: I have already file.pdf, then firefox creates file(1).pdf)
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>>   this is normal behavior for as long as i can remember using
>> firefox.
>
> This is simply not true. Because if I try to save *.jpeg, or *.jpg - i
> got question if I want to overwrite file, which already exists.
> And I am sure that some time ago pdf-s was also treated this way.
> KJ

  you are right, but i just wanted to say that for some sites
the behavior is to generate a unique file name if they find
one that already exists with the same name and for other sites
it is not.  i think this is dependent upon the website designers
and not firefox.

  this has been the same for some sites as long as i've used
firefox.  i don't do a ton of file loading or pdf stuff but it
seems to be mostly financial ones that give me access to my
statements that have this feature.  i still don't like that
they do automatic filenames as i end up redoing them to fit my
own current naming scheme instead so they could call it file a.pdf
and i'd be fine with that.

  perhaps there is an addon or plugin that will do what you'd
like.

  songbird