Re: OT: anybody uses eero 6 WiFi router?

"Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev@gmail.com> writes:

> If I was in the market for the router for myself, I'd always choose
> one from MikroTik¹.

> They all have no-nonsence hardware and software design...

I can't agree with the software part. Or I guess no-nonsense can be
agreed but I just find their web config interface messy,
counter-intuitive and poorly documented. Same goes for their proprietary
CLI. And they provide their own awful script language too.

Mikrotik's HW seems fine and they have a reputation for reliability
although my hEX S runs rather hot.

> The only downside I can think of is somewhat advanced configuration
> could be difficult for somebody, but with help from official forum and
> wiki² quite manageable and as a bonus I'll learn a lot about
> networking, routing.

That downside is huge. The thing is, I already know a lot about
networking and routing. What I don't know is all the Mikrotik
proprietary stuff or "the Mikrotik way". And since it all seems kind of
ass-backwards I don't particularly want to learn.

For sure, most router makers seem to think they have to add a fat
proprietary layer of crap on top of Linux. I have recent experience from
a Draytek router but at least their web interface was easily understood
even if things were placed strangely and some things were just odd. Too
bad the router didn't actually work reliably enough so I RMAd it and got
the Mikrotik.

Anyways, as soon as I have some free time I'll be setting up my PC
Engines APU2 board with Debian Linux to act as my router.