Re: OT: anybody uses eero 6 WiFi router?

On 13.01.2022 07:56, Juan R.D. Silva wrote:
Hi folks,

Shopping for a new ISP came across company that uses exclusively eero 6 router. Anyone to share your experience/opinion about the thing?

2 concerns of mine are:
- cloud based private network management
- Amazon owned

Thanks

I've never used this thing, but if I had to choose I would choose against it. If ISP uses eero 6 router exclusively, doesn't mean it is good, it is probably because of a special deal with Amazon. Just by skimming few reviews I can see, it's a "black box" without any information about hardware inside, so it must be dirt cheap to produce. Other concerns, it comes with Amazon spyware (content proxy) pre-installed, which raises privacy concerns. It is impossible to control without a smartphone and special app, which leads to security concerns. A few owners has reported about connectivity issues, that means a firmware is not stable enough.
There is no telling about for how long it will be supported by Amazon.
The only positive thing I can think of about this overpriced toy is an Amazon eco-system integration and Alexa interaction support. That is if someone needs something like that in their home.

If I was in the market for the router for myself, I'd always choose one from MikroTik¹. They all have no-nonsence hardware and software design, no smartphone\app requirement, no eco-system requirement (like 'Ubiquiti' devices), it is highly customizable, has every feature you can think of, it could be controlled via many ways, secured and monitored and will be supported by manufacturer for years via firmware updates. The only downside I can think of is somewhat advanced configuration could be difficult for somebody, but with help from official forum and wiki² quite manageable and as a bonus I'll learn a lot about networking, routing.

¹ https://mikrotik.com/products
² https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Main_Page

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.