Re: downsides to replacing xfce4-terminal?

Greg Wooledge writes:

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 12:16:44AM +0100, Michael Lange wrote:
> In case you have a mouse with a wheel, what's wrong with middle-button
> pasting?

It is worth mentioning that the common Windows program to access Linux machines over SSH `putty.exe` has the right-click for paste behaviour. I gather it might be hard to adjust muscle memory to the middle-mouse-click if one switches from Putty to something else.

It's virtually impossible to press the wheel without accidentally turning
it, either forward or backward.  Depending on where you're clicking,
this can have undesired side effects.

This problem is highly hardware-dependent. I know there are some mice where the wheel requires much force to press whereas scrolling happens immediately as soon as you touch it. Given that I need both, the middle mouse button as well as the wheel function I specifically avoid them when buying and try to find a mouse with the opposite behaviour: Easy to click wheel and hard to unexpectedly trigger scrolling.

For my uses, I have found the "MadCatz R.A.T.3" to work well (seven years of light mouse usage passed). It seems to be superseded by the "R.A.T.4+" which has a bunch of more featurs that I probably don't need :)

Personally, I'm still using a three-button mouse with no wheel.  The
middle button pastes, just as the gods of Unix (or Xerox) intended.

That's also a fine choice iff one can do without the wheel :)

YMMV
Linux-Fan

öö