Re: Thunderbird not allowing local accounts

John,
thanks for this.  Seems to work here as well
Bob C.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022, at 22:37, John Crawley wrote:
On 06/01/2022 03:26, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 09:44:24 -0500
> "Paul M. Foster" <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

>> Can anyone recommend another MUA which uses mbox format and is
>> relatively easy to configure?

> Claws-mail and mutt for two.

> Or, if you want to stick with your investment in Thunderbird, use
> dovecot to set up a local imap server.

This issue hit me this morning too. With a huge decades-long investment in TB.
Much websearching later, discovered that setting up dovecot as a local imap server is nowhere as complicated as it looks [1].

Just install dovecot-imapd + dependencies
It's configured by default to do exactly what's needed here (serve /var/mail<username>).

Then set up a new imap account on Thunderbird:

name and email address <username>@<hostname>

Server Type: IMAP Mail Server
Server Name: localhost, Port: 143
User Name: <username>
Connection security: None
Authentication method: Password, transmitted insecurely

It seems to be working now. Just have to wait to see if it fetches new messages as they arrive...

[1] https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2089364&sid=3a7ead4db70a4207632405a9aa06dc59#p2089364

--
John