Re: downsides to replacing xfce4-terminal?

On 1/7/22, riveravaldez <riveravaldezmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/7/22, Lee <ler762@gmail.com> wrote:
>> background:
>> There have been two things preventing me to moving to Debian -
>
> Hi, do you mean 'Debian' there?, I'm not sure what's the situation.

The situation is that I absolutely hate the default user interface.
Scroll bars that play hide & seek, that when they are visible are tiny
wire-like things, clicking above/below the scrollbar takes you ..
somewhere & what I want is one page up or down, etc.

I found https://github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95 and that fixed most of
the UI problems, but the terminal right-click to paste requiring a
left click to actually paste was a deal-breaker.  So I was still using
windows/cygwin to ssh to my debian machine to do most everything
there.

In short, I found the UI basically unusable.

>> horrible scrollbars & no right-click to paste in the terminal
>
> About the scrollbars I don't know, but, for instance, lxterminal has
> right-click to copy from and past in the terminal (I use it all the time),
> and I guess it's pretty light in dependencies:
>
> $ apt-cache depends lxterminal
> lxterminal
>   Depende: libc6
>   Depende: libgdk-pixbuf-2.0-0
>   Depende: libglib2.0-0
>   Depende: libgtk-3-0
>   Depende: libpango-1.0-0
>   Depende: libvte-2.91-0
>   Depende: libx11-6
>
> You can use it anywhere (I use it over mere window managers,
> IceWM, for instance, or fluxbox, openbox, etc.
>
>> xfce4-terminal v0.9.1 finally has right-click = paste
>>
>> https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/-/commit/970905924ad685827cee2b2406a3b8a6b6990187
>> so what are the downsides, if any, to replacing
>> /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal with the one I build from the
>> 0.9.1 source tarball?
>>
>> If it makes a difference
>> $ cat /etc/debian_version
>> 11.2
>
> Maybe lxterminal would be a simpler solution for you. :)

After figuring out "apt search XXX" was the way to find my missing
dependencies, building a new xfce4-terminal was easy :)  And
right-click works the way I want it to now.

Thanks,
Lee