Re: odd question re man pages

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 11:41:45AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 05:01:05AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > I've noted that there can be links to a web page in a man page that are

> In a terminal: left click might not do anything but right click will bring
> up a menu for me which allows me to open the link.
>
> So: man apt, for example, has a URL for bugs at the bottom: if I right click
> that underlined link, I get the option to open it / copy it or whatever.

The behavior is highly specific to the terminal emulator in question.
We can't guess how Gene's terminal is behaving (or has the capability
of behaving) without knowing which one it is.

I'm using rxvt-unicode, and (at least the way I've got it configured), it
does absolutely nothing with URLs.  They're just strings.  Left-clicking
or right-clicking does the same thing on them that it would do on any
other string, such as an English word, or a Unix pathname, or a mathematical
expression.

That said, if I search for "url" in the rxvt-unicode(1) man page, I get
this section:

       url-launcher: string
           Specifies the program to be started with a URL argument. Used by
           the "selection-popup" and "matcher" perl extensions.

That raises more questions than it gives answers, but at least it tells
me that in some hypothetical configuration of this program, there's a
way that URLs could be identified and acted upon specially.

Gene's terminal may or may not have something similar.