Re: Dragging tabs in Google Chrome 97

On 1/5/22, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> This morning, I did my normal apt-get update/upgrade, and this brought
> in a new version of google-chrome-stable
>
> ii  google-chrome-stable 97.0.4692.71-1 amd64        The web browser from
> Google
>
> After restarting in the new version of Chrome, I am unable to move
> tabs around within a window.  Any attempt to drag a tab to the left or
> the right immediately causes the creation of a new window, with the
> tab that I was trying to move inside the new window.
>
> >From there, if I right-click the offending tab inside the new window,
> there's an option to "Move tab to a new window".  I can use this to
> send the tab back to its original window -- but now it's on the far
> right.
>
> I googled (ironically) the problem, and of course because Chrome 97 is
> so new, there are no useful pages in the search results yet.  The nearest
> I found were some older reports of similar issues.

I don't have answers toward a permanent resolution but still wanted to
suggest that CTRL+SHIFT+[pageUP/pageDOWN] works for me to
alternatively move tabs around one position at a time. Am hoping that
also works (universally) in Chrome, too.

That's my go-to route when I experience similar issues with the tabs
detaching. In my case, it's about elderly shaky fingers (Human error),
low computer memory, and such that cause that highly aggravating issue
here. :)

> I know this isn't the *best* place to ask for help with proprietary
> browsers, but this is a pretty popular one, so there's a chance.  Has
> anyone else encountered this problem?  More importantly, does anyone
> know how to *fix* it?
>
> Being unable to rearrange tabs in a sane manner is EXTREMELY irritating.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
* runs with birdseed *