Re: Dragging tabs in Google Chrome 97

On Wed 05 Jan 2022 at 10:25:38 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 09:14:07AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > This morning, I did my normal apt-get update/upgrade, and this brought
> > in a new version of google-chrome-stable
> >
> > ii  google-chrome-stable 97.0.4692.71-1 amd64        The web browser from Google
> >
> > After restarting in the new version of Chrome, I am unable to move
> > tabs around within a window.  Any attempt to drag a tab to the left or
> > the right immediately causes the creation of a new window, with the
> > tab that I was trying to move inside the new window.
>
> I've discovered another symptom, and I'm assuming it's related.
>
> One of the games that I play in Chrome is an incremental called Evolve
> <https://pmotschmann.github.io/Evolve/>.  This game uses Javascript
> heavily, and allows dragging and dropping various things within the
> game, in order to rearrange work queues and so forth.
>
> As of this morning's update, dragging and dropping items in this game
> doesn't work either.  The dragging part appears to work correctly, as
> far as I can tell -- there is visual feedback that a thing is being
> moved as I drag with the mouse.  But when I release the button to "drop"
> the thing, it simply goes back to its original position.  No rearranging
> occurs.

Not to say it's relevant or irrelevant, but that's the behaviour of
dragging any image in FF: let go and it puts it back where it was.
What I don't know is whether an item that's drag-AND-droppable has
to be marked in some way, which could be missing; or whether it's
just the dropping mechanism that's broken.

Cheers,
David.