Re: Need Support on Debian10 Kernel Upgrade

On Sat 18 Dec 2021 at 12:36:49 (+0100), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 16 dec 21, 09:53:33, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > Anyone think it ironic that a multinational IT company with a
> > market capitalisation of $50 billion as of September 2021 comes
> > here for help on upgrading the kernel on an old Debian system?
>
> Many questions on this list originate from businesses using Debian
> internally.
>
> Are you suggesting this shouldn't be allowed and/or that support should
> only be provided for businesses below a certain size?

No, neither was suggested by me, but I'm guessing by this reply
that you don't see any irony.

> (ignoring for a moment that this would be impossible to implement with
> open posting / subscribing / list archives)
>
> Free(dom) Software was never meant to exclude comercial use or
> developers earning a living (or a fortune) from it.
>
> In fact a non-commercial clause in the license would make a software
> non-free according to Debian's DFSG and other similar Free Software
> definitions.
>
> As far as I can tell the Debian Project is actually quite proud of Pixar
> having used Debian internally, so much so that all the code names are
> still inspired by Toy Story characters.

Hmm. The first release in June 1996 was already named buzz, yet
two months earlier Bruce commented: "Pixar isn't really interested
in Linux¹ yet - I will try to change this in the next year or so -
I don't know if I will get anywhere" and also: "I find myself
wishing that my systems at Pixar ran Debian Linux …".

I think he was proud of the number of companies who /were/ using
Debian, commenting: "other users just as impressive, but I don't
have the space to list them all."

¹ let alone Debian.

Cheers,
David.