Re: jupyter-notebook and bullseye

On Fri 31 Dec 2021 at 15:07:39 (-0700), D. R. Evans wrote:
> Reco wrote on 12/31/21 1:47 PM:
>
> > > That was certainly a help (although I wonder why it was necessary for me to do that manually),
> >
> > It's official Debian policy now, believe it or not.
> > python 2.x is /usr/bin/python2.
> > python 3.x is /usr/bin/python3.
> >
> > If the user really wants /usr/bin/python the user should install
> > python-is-python2 or python-is-python3. And these two packages conflict
> > with each other.
>
> Once upon a time, not really that long ago, Debian seemed to make very
> sensible decisions to keep everything stable and working across
> upgrades.

I don't understand: the exchange above seems to indicate that they've
done what you asked for, to provide an upgrade path for your Python2
software that is now one year beyond EOL.

> In the past few years, however, I find myself shaking my
> head and wondering "what were they thinking?" It's not that some of
> the things they've done are necessarily *wrong* per se, but they have
> certainly been a lot more experimental than one wants in an
> environment that one expects to keep working properly across upgrades;
> it seems that somehow the importance of keeping the users' systems
> functioning as one hopes they will is now a much lower priority than
> it used to be.

I see no evidence of that. The Release Notes for buster gave
notice of the end of Python2 support, and so the provision of
python-is-python2 might be seen as something of a plus.

There's not much point in blaming Debian for the demise of Python2.
Were Debian to ignore the lack of security support and just observe
the consequences, that's what I'd call "being experimental".

> But it certainly would be nice to at least be able to use my old
> jupyter notebooks, even if it's unlikely that I'll create any new
> ones.

> > Judging from [1], you're required to reinstall all these "jupyter
> > kernels", because what you have was installed for python2, but what you
> > need is to install them for python3.

> That's probably a good bet. I don't remember how any of those kernels
> got installed [I thought that all except the sos kernel were from
> debian repositories, but my memory might be faulty], so I'll have to
> search around and see what I can dig up. The evidence to hand does
> seem to suggest that they don't auto-upgrade and therefore need to be
> upgraded manually somehow.

One might assume that others have tackled this conversion process,
probably a few years ago. I certainly get google hits that look as if
that's what people have done, though I can't be certain as I don't use
Jupyter. (I typed   convert python2 python3 jupyter.) Perhaps it's
worth backing up your data and then trying out some of these
processes. I can't see Python2 sticking around for ever.

Alternatively, you could just install an older Debian version onto
a junk machine, and keep it safely away from the connected world.

Cheers,
David.