Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 11:56:48AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> There's also the fact that disk manufacturers are notoriously
> unable to commit to the same size disks across models.

I was interested to discover a couple of years ago that there has
for some time been a standard for storage capacity so that any
stated capacity will be consistent even between manufacturers. It's
called IDEMA LBA1-03:

    http://www.idema.org/wp-content/downloads/2169.pdf

Basically it says that the actual capacity in bytes will always be
the stated GB * 1000194048 + 10838016.

Thinking back over the last 10 years or so I couldn't remember when
I had ever had a problem with differing capacities, this with
hundreds of different drives from different vendors, so I thought
that with this standard this problem was behind us.

Then, two months ago I saw some people on the zfs-linux mailing list
saying they'd had this problem so I asked around:

    https://twitter.com/grifferz/status/1438269336418930688

…and indeed, it seems that some some are still not abiding by this
standard. Yet for most of their drives they do. :(

Cheers,
Andy