Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

Andy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 09:22:12AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > mdadm --create --verbose /dem/md0 --level=10 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh
> >
> > should work.
>
> You may want to create identical partitions on each of the devices
> first, and use those instead of the raw unpartitioned devices.
>
> The reason is that there is hardware (primarily motherboards) out
> there that get upset when they see a drive without a partition
> table, and just blindly make one, which corrupts your RAID. There
> are ASRock motherboards which are known to do this at every boot.

There's also the fact that disk manufacturers are notoriously
unable to commit to the same size disks across models. A RAID
expecting 4 identical 1,024,000,048,576 byte disks might be
unhappy when you have to substitute in a 1,016,000,000,384 byte
disk from the same manufacturer -- but if you created partitions
that were all 1,000,000,000,000 in size, everyone will get
along.

-dsr-