Re: downgrade qt version from 5 to 4

On Thu 11 Nov 2021 at 14:56:06 (+0100), Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 14:20, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 02:10:40PM +0100, lina wrote:
> > > Thanks all for the input. My problem originated from after the system
> > > upgrade to bullseye, the gaussian view (gview) won't be able to show the
> > > result file.
>
> actually gview stands for G[tk] view (distributed in gvim package)
>
> > > As gview is an essential part in my work, these days my work is stranded
> > > due to it. I don't know how to fix it. Honestly.
> >
> > If this program doesn't work under bullseye, but is known to work under
> > buster, then I see three main courses of action from which you might
> > choose:
> >
> > 1) Buy a new computer, install buster on it, and use gview on this.
>
> you can also consider a remote computer.
>
> > 2) Install buster inside a chroot, or a virtual machine, or some other
> >     virtual layering technology, on your bullseye computer.  Run gview
> >     within the virtual buster environment.
>
> This looks the best solution here (for short and long term):
> https://wiki.debian.org/Schroot
>
> > 3) Reinstall buster instead of bullseye on your current machine.
>
> 4) dual boot: Buster / Bulleye (but heavy, so to avoid).

That depends what you mean by "heavy". To someone like me, who
typically runs computers "of a certain age", (2) is the heavy
option, and (4) is lightweight because the OS never has to do
any more than it ever did.

For more than a decade, I've routinely partitioned my systems so as to
have two root partitions, and I flip between them as Debian evolves.
/home (encrypted) and any swap (random encrypted) partitions are
shared.

When I install a new version, I first check the ssh keys, and decide
whether to copy the old ones to the new system (easier) or vice versa
(means other machines have to be updated too).

Then I watch out for any software where there are significant changes
in configuration files and, if so, deal with them by versioning:
eg, restore the old dotfiles from backup, and set up a logon script to
flip a symlink to point to the appropriate version of dotfiles.

It's rarely very long before I cease booting the older version, but
it takes the pressure off from having to make all the necessary changes
at one and the same time.

> > Once you've restored your ability to do your work, *then* you can try
> > to pursue long-term solutions so that you aren't stuck with a perpetual
> > out-of-date buster environment for this one program.

Cheers,
David.