Re: downgrade qt version from 5 to 4

Hi all,

Thanks all for the input. My problem originated from after the system upgrade to bullseye, the gaussian view (gview) won't be able to show the result file.
As gview is an essential part in my work, these days my work is stranded due to it. I don't know how to fix it. Honestly.
One way is that:
When I open a program, that would be a great way to know which other files are involved, as I can compare the one that works with the one that does not work to get a clue.

Thanks again,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 9:34 PM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 09:37:22AM +0100, lina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In order to have avogadro instead of avogadro2.
>
> I intend to downgrade qt5 to qt4.
>
> But I can't find the qt4 snapshot from http://snapshot.debian.org/
>
> Thanks again for your help, lina

Hi Lina,

As others have said - be really careful.

Is it perhaps possible you may have a series of XY problems here?

https://xyproblem.info/ - which also references Greg who is incredibly helpful
 on this list, especially with scripting problems.

Stating the all too-obvious here from the perspective of someone watching
this from outside.

Write down for yourself what you actually want to achieve in the simplest
terms - not how you think it needs to be solved.

Break the problem down to it's simplest parts and steps. If you can't
break it down: ask here and someone will probably ask questions to help
break it down more fully.

Work out a starting point - that might be a simple reinstall of Debian
less graphics drivers and a windowing environment to start with.

The next step might be to build and install Nvidia drivers for your card

The next step might be to then add a windowing manager / desktop environment
(and so on).

Work up from there.

_Most_ problems can be solved this way, perhaps after a false start or two.
It may still be the case that you run into an impasse - in which case you
may have to start the process agin given the new constraints you now face.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater