Re: which package is good for making poster

Thanks, I have saved this latex template and will try it.

Thanks all, best regards, lina

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 1:03 AM Brian Flaherty <bxf4@yahoo.com> wrote:
On 11/2/21 07:33, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 20:46, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have to prepare a poster,

> Inkscape appears to be pretty powerful when one knows how to use it.
> It's always added to my setups even though I barely touch it. Just
> waiting for time to follow a good how-to step by step.
>
> I just tried an "apt-cache search poster" query. Received "poster" and
> "shanty" back. Mentioning in case someone knows of them or can help
> test drive them for informational purposes. They appear to be command
> line tools, and both have manpages for flags and such.

If you are creating a poster for a scientific conference and you know
LaTeX or another TeX derivative, you can make a poster with it. I've
used LaTeX packages sciposter and a0poster in the past. Here's the top
of a latex file I have using sciposter:

\documentclass[custom,landscape,36pt]{sciposter}

\special{papersize=96in,48in}

\usepackage[absolute]{textpos}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{hanging}

\special{ps:gsave
Resolution dup scale -1 35 translate 1 -1 scale
0.57 0.39 0.91 setrgbcolor
26 28.5 44 6 rectfill
grestore}

\definecolor{mainCol}{rgb}{0.98,0.98,0.82}
\definecolor{BoxCol}{rgb}{1.,0.87,0.0}
\definecolor{TextCol}{rgb}{0,0,0}
\definecolor{SectionCol}{rgb}{0,0,0}

\renewcommand{\columnseprule}{0pt}
\renewcommand{\sectionsize}{\Large}
\renewcommand{\subsectionsize}{\large}

\title{\textcolor{white}{Very, very interesting stuff}}

\author{\textcolor{white}{me}}

\institute{\textcolor{white}{affill}}

\email{\textcolor{white}{me@me}}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\begin{multicols}{5}

%%% the poster text, etc.
text text text

%%% this won't work without some \end{X} statements.

I also have a paper96x48.cfg file in the same directory.

:> more paper96x48.cfg
% file papercustom.cfg, M.H.F. Wilkinson
% custom paper support
% for sciposter.cls v1.10 and higher
% edit pointsize, width, height, and fontsize parameters as needed
% DO ensure that values in the \special commands match!
\renewcommand{\papertype}{custom}
\renewcommand{\fontpointsize}{36pt}
\setlength{\paperwidth}{121cm}
\setlength{\paperheight}{243cm}
\renewcommand{\setpspagesize}{
\ifthenelse{\equal{\orientation}{portrait}}{
\special{papersize=121cm,243m}
}{\special{papersize=243cm,121cm}
}
}

I've also used the poster package in Debian to take the full poster and
spit it out as a bunch of 9.5x11 sheets of paper for printing and then
taping together. It has worked in a pinch for me, but it is a little
disappointing to work hard to make a nice looking poster and then it
looks pretty terrible taped up.

Good luck and enjoy. I have always enjoyed making posters.