Re: which package is good for making poster

On 11/2/21 07:33, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 20:46, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

I have to prepare a poster,

Inkscape appears to be pretty powerful when one knows how to use it.
It's always added to my setups even though I barely touch it. Just
waiting for time to follow a good how-to step by step.

I just tried an "apt-cache search poster" query. Received "poster" and
"shanty" back. Mentioning in case someone knows of them or can help
test drive them for informational purposes. They appear to be command
line tools, and both have manpages for flags and such.

If you are creating a poster for a scientific conference and you know LaTeX or another TeX derivative, you can make a poster with it. I've used LaTeX packages sciposter and a0poster in the past. Here's the top of a latex file I have using sciposter:

\documentclass[custom,landscape,36pt]{sciposter}

\special{papersize=96in,48in}

\usepackage[absolute]{textpos}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{hanging}

\special{ps:gsave
Resolution dup scale -1 35 translate 1 -1 scale
0.57 0.39 0.91 setrgbcolor
26 28.5 44 6 rectfill
grestore}

\definecolor{mainCol}{rgb}{0.98,0.98,0.82}
\definecolor{BoxCol}{rgb}{1.,0.87,0.0}
\definecolor{TextCol}{rgb}{0,0,0}
\definecolor{SectionCol}{rgb}{0,0,0}

\renewcommand{\columnseprule}{0pt}
\renewcommand{\sectionsize}{\Large}
\renewcommand{\subsectionsize}{\large}

\title{\textcolor{white}{Very, very interesting stuff}}

\author{\textcolor{white}{me}}

\institute{\textcolor{white}{affill}}

\email{\textcolor{white}{me@me}}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\begin{multicols}{5}

%%% the poster text, etc.
text text text

%%% this won't work without some \end{X} statements.

I also have a paper96x48.cfg file in the same directory.

:> more paper96x48.cfg
% file papercustom.cfg, M.H.F. Wilkinson
% custom paper support
% for sciposter.cls v1.10 and higher
% edit pointsize, width, height, and fontsize parameters as needed
% DO ensure that values in the \special commands match!
\renewcommand{\papertype}{custom}
\renewcommand{\fontpointsize}{36pt}
\setlength{\paperwidth}{121cm}
\setlength{\paperheight}{243cm}
\renewcommand{\setpspagesize}{
\ifthenelse{\equal{\orientation}{portrait}}{
\special{papersize=121cm,243m}
}{\special{papersize=243cm,121cm}
}
}

I've also used the poster package in Debian to take the full poster and spit it out as a bunch of 9.5x11 sheets of paper for printing and then taping together. It has worked in a pinch for me, but it is a little disappointing to work hard to make a nice looking poster and then it looks pretty terrible taped up.

Good luck and enjoy. I have always enjoyed making posters.