Re: LTS versions - confusion

On Ma, 14 sep 21, 16:33:55, Tanstaafl wrote:

> Hmmm... ok, so, I could run sid 'forever', as long as I keep it updated
> regularly?

Technically, yes.

> Anyone do this for important (maybe not 'mission critical') servers?

I used to run sid as the main system on my daily driver laptop.

Having it break before a (non-work) presentation, or even just game
night and later dance party with friends was definitely not fun, so I
started running a stable install in paralel (shared /home, which brought
its own set of complexity).

Eventually I realised it requires too much time to maintain, in a period
when I had very little spare, so I settled with stable only.

Lately I've been using testing or unstable only due to lack of hardware
support and to monitor the progress of such for very specific devices.

With the amount of 0-day vulnerabilities found on regular basis I would
be extremely wary of running sid for any public facing services.

Kind regards,
Andrei