Re: LTS versions - confusion

On Ma, 14 sep 21, 23:18:48, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 14 Sep 2021 at 16:33:55 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm... ok, so, I could run sid 'forever', as long as I keep it updated
> > regularly?
>
> Why not? Update when you want to. How does this differ from Gentoo's
> rolling release aspect? Go for testing if you want to be a little
> conservative?

Except that testing has worse security support as all updates go to
unstable first, by definition. While security updates[1] are prioritised
as much as possible, they could get entangled in some library
transition.

[1] provided there are any timely security updates, as in unstable these
are up to the package Maintainer, whereas for stable and oldstable there
are dedicated teams.

Kind regards,
Andrei