Re: is it possible to send e-mail via Yahoo's smtp servers using Thunderbird (78.13.0)?

On Vi, 10 sep 21, 20:55:43, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 2021-09-10 18:11, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> >
> > Pretty sure, it's the issue with Yahoo¹ ², nothing to do with Thunderbird.
> > Yahoo is following the same path as GMail, forcing their users to use
> > web browsers as mail clients.
> > In case of GMail you have to use same generated "app-password" for both
> > IMAP and SMTP services.
> > I guess the same principle will be for Yahoo.
> >

> > [1]
> > https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/temporary-access-insecure-sln27791.html
> > [2] https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/generate-manage-third-party-passwords-sln15241.html
> > --
> Yes, I've tried the app passwords without success. As near as I can tell,
> they are just a randomly generated secure password that is linked to a
> particular application as well as the account.

On the other hand, at least in my opinion, they are preferable for
situations where it's necessary to write the password in some
configuration file (e.g. MTA configured to forward via smarthost, for
interactive use it's possible to use a password manager instead).

The application password can only be used for SMTP/POP/IMAP (but not for
logging in to the web interface) and in case you have reason to suspect
it was compromised it can be easily revoked from the web interface.

Kind regards,
Andrei