Re: Install Debian 10 amd64 onto USB flash drive with and for Macintosh

On Thu 02 Sep 2021 at 22:29:34 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> On 9/2/21 5:37 PM, David Wright wrote:
> > On Wed 01 Sep 2021 at 16:00:13 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> >
> > [three long posts]
> >
> > That was very useful. I've condensed it into a file (attached) for
> > my own use. The footnotes are notes, guesses and queries.
>

> > My main question is — there are three identical listings taken at
> > different times; all say:
> >
> > > # mount | grep '.dev.sd'
> > > /dev/sdb3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
> > > /dev/sdb1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
> >
> > and yet two are labelled as wrong, and the third as correct.
>
> Thank you for your sharp eyes.

Just a consequence of rewriting it for my own use, which meant
crosschecking everything.

> Without repeating those many hours of unpleasant work to confirm or
> deny the console sessions and/or the intermediate conclusions, at this
> point it does appear that I misread the output from the first two runs
> of the following command in my post of 9/1/21 4:00 PM:
>
>     # mount | grep '.dev.sd'
>
> As always, I will have to be careful when making decisions based upon
> a single letter.

Yes, I try to make it possible to use collateral information as a
check. For example, years ago I would make all my partitions have
slightly different sizes, because sizes were typically reported
(and LABELs, PARTLABELs, UUIDs etc weren't).

> RTFM mount(8), it talks about feeding UUID's into mount as
> command-line arguments; but I do not see a way to have mount output
> UUID's (?).

I think you have to use a command like   lsblk -l --fs   or
lsblk -l -o NAME,PARTUUID,PARTLABEL   to get whatever you might want.
If you only have busybox, then I think you're stuck with looking
through the output from   ls -lR /dev/disk   for what you want.

> (I never did figure out how to do a Secure Erase of the SSD.)

I guess one can sacrifice a write-cycle and just zero the whole thing.

> The contents of the SSD ESP filesystem are not ideal and I still do
> not understand how the MacBook Pro firmware finds and/or chooses
> between boot loaders.

I read things like this:

 "With the introduction of System Integrity Protection in OS X 10.11
  (El Capitan), Apple has locked down some of the things you can do
  with the nvram command.
 "Specifically, you can no longer set any variables that belong to the
  Efi GUID, like BootOrder. …"¹

but as I said, they don't mean a lot to me.

¹ https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_26968084.html

Cheers,
David.