Re: Install Debian 10 amd64 onto USB flash drive with and for Macintosh

Hello,

Le mardi 31 août 2021 à 15:31 -0700, David Christensen a écrit :
[...]
> I would like to install Debian 10 onto a USB flash drive as a
> self-contained, bootable, full, live installation that I use with
> this
> and other Intel-based Macintosh computers.

You should even be able to use it on any x86-64 PC if you install most
firmwares

[...]
> If I now power up the machine with the buster-mac USB flash drive
> installed, Debian starts.
>

> If I now power up the machine without the buster-mac USB flash drive
> installed, I see:
>
>      GNU GRUB version 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u4
>
>      Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word,
> TAB
>      lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists
> possible
>      device or file completions.
>
>      grub>
[...]

I do not know where Grub has been installed but it has probably not
been installed with the right option(s)

- If I recall correctly, an expert install will ask you where to
install grub and if it is a removable media

- Booting the installation media with the rescue option will probably
offer the possibility to reinstall grub with the desired option(s)

- And you could simply boot your newly created Debian USB stick and
reinstall Grub at the right place (specify the USB stick) with the
right option(s).
see grub-install manpage, options --removable and if not sufficient --
force-extra-removable