Re: Install Debian 10 amd64 onto USB flash drive with and for Macintosh

On Wed 01 Sep 2021 at 16:00:13 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:

[three long posts]

That was very useful. I've condensed it into a file (attached) for
my own use. The footnotes are notes, guesses and queries.

My main question is — there are three identical listings taken at
different times; all say:

> # mount | grep '.dev.sd'
> /dev/sdb3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
> /dev/sdb1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

and yet two are labelled as wrong, and the third as correct.

I found the device letters a bit confusing when you're running the
rescue system. AFAICT, sda is always the SSD. So I was perplexed
by "Rescue operations -> Execute shell in /dev/sda3" because
your SSD only appeared to have two partitions in the OP.

What seems to be missing from the account is any consideration of
the so-called NVRAM variables, about which I know nothing. I'm
still working through how hiding the EFI/debian tree makes the
option-less booting suddenly work, but then, I don't know how
closely the Option key corresponds to pressing F12 on, say, a
Dell PC, which is how you set the device boot order.
(I haven't touched a Mac since the last century when they were
in a little AiO box.)

Cheers,
David.
Post 1 (31 Aug 2021 15:31:43 -0700)

Option boot with d-i inserted:

  Select an EFI Boot disk (unclear whether SSD vs USB, or USB's bootx64.efi vs grubx64.efi)
  Install buster onto newly inserted USB → "buster-mac"
  Debian tree for ESP (silently) onto SSD's ESP¹

Boot with USB inserted (twice):

  SSD's ESP debian tree points to USB
  buster-mac runs

Boot without USB inserted:

  SSD's ESP Debian tree points to USB
  Grub>

Option boot without USB inserted:

  Sees SSD
  MacBook firmware starts macOS

Command-R boot:

  MacBook firmware stuff

Boot with USB inserted:

  SSD's ESP Debian tree points to USB
  buster-mac runs again
  fdisk shows Mac OS on sdX2, buster-mac on sdX3
  SSD's ESP is mounted at /boot/efi
  SSD's ESP contains APPLE and debian

Post 2 (31 Aug 2021 17:39:37 -0700)

Option boot with USB inserted:

  Still sees only SSD

Boot with USB inserted (perhaps continuing from Option boot):

  buster-mac runs
  Listing of d-i's ESP with bootx64.efi² and grubx64.efi
  USB's ESP is empty
  Repeat listing of SSD's ESP
  Ruminations on copying files³

Post 3 (1 Sep 2021 16:00:13 -0700)

Boot Rescue with d-i inserted:

  Insert USB
  Select USB's / as root filesystem
  Execute a shell in sda3⁴
  Edit /etc/fstab to mount USB's ESP, not SSD's
  Mount USB's ESP
  Install Grub, choosing USB's ESP

Boot with d-i and USB inserted:

  Something⁵ displays a Grub menu
  buster-mac selected and runs

Boot with USB inserted:

  buster-mac selected and runs
  Reports "Mount device for /boot/efi is wrong⁶ -- still using internal SSD, not USB flash drive."

Boot Rescue with d-i inserted:

  Insert USB
  Select USB's / as root filesystem
  Install Grub, forcing "Removable media path"⁷

Boot with d-i and USB inserted:

  Something⁵ displays a Grub menu
  buster-mac selected and runs

Boot with USB inserted:

  buster-mac selected and runs
  Reports "Wrong⁶ -- internal SSD ESP is mounted at /boot/efi."

Option boot with USB inserted:

  Sees SSD and EFI Boot⁸
  EFI Boot selection starts buster-mac
  Reports success after the same listing as the two "failures"

Boot with or without USB inserted:

  macOS runs, buster-mac never runs

Option boot with USB inserted:

  Sees SSD and EFI Boot⁸
  EFI Boot selection starts buster-mac
  Mount SSD's ESP
  Move the SSD's ESP debian tree, leaving the APPLE one

Boot with USB inserted:

  buster-mac runs (no Option/selection needed now)
  Listing USB's ESP, identical to a standard Debian installation's
  Listing of fstab mentions sdd in the comments, rather than sdc⁹

¹ Not the desired result, of course
² I think bootx64.efi might be the secure boot shim?
³ Copying EFI files might not be enough: what about NVRAM variables?
⁴ Does sda3 exist (on the SSD)?
⁵ Presumably USB ESP could do this, and perhaps SSD ESP as well
⁶ Not sure why: buster-mac has sdb3 on / and sdb1 on /boot/efi
  Both these are on sdb which is the USB
  There are three identical lists from   mount | grep '.dev.sd'
⁷ Is this these three files? /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/*
⁸ How different is this selection screen from the very first one?
⁹ Was sdc the firmware stick during the original installation?